• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buy OSRS Gold

Sign in to follow this  
baileyr12

Input on Parts For Building PC

Question

My friend built his own gaming computer a year ago, and this Christmas I thought I would finally do the same. I've never built a computer before, and I'm gonna be 100% honest I don't know a ton about the hardware of computers. My friend offered to help me with assembly once I get all the parts. If someone could check out what I got going and make sure they think its a good choice. Thanks!

What I want to do with it:

• Bot
  • Photo/Video Edit
  • Program(Java, C++, etc.) Computer Science is my major.
  • Play an array of game types (not competitive, but good enough quality that its fun)
  • Movies

Current parts I am Asking for Christmas:

Processor - AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition - $84
Amazon

Motherboard - MSI 970 GAMING DDR3 2133 ATX AMD Motherboard - $80
Amazon

Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 Desktop RAM, Red -  $100
Amazon

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW DVI-I/HDMI/Display Port GDDR5 Graphics Card with ACX Cooling 02G-P4-3757-KR $122
Amazon

SSD - 240GB - PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5” SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS1311-240-RB) - $65 - $80
Amazon

Power Supply - EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-0750-V1 $80
Amazon

Case - Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case - $54
Amazon

My Budget is about $1300 - $2000.

Also these are the monitors I will have(2)

Monitor

Edited by baileyr12

12 answers to this question

If your budget is that high you should get much better parts.

For that budget I'd get a nice 4K IPS display. I'm also in computer science and my i5 is more than fine, but I'll throw some parts at you..

i7 6700k

Noctua NH-D15 for cooling if you're overclocking. If not you can get a cheaper cooler. If you want water cooling go for it, but I prefer silence over the loud pumps on some units

16gb of 2667mhz DDR4

512gb ssd + 2tb hdd

550w PSU (get a quality one from Seasonic! dont get a cheap one!!!)
GTX 1070

I really like the Fractal Design cases, but it's your choice

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tabinhu said:

If your budget is that high you should get much better parts.

For that budget I'd get a nice 4K IPS display. I'm also in computer science and my i5 is more than fine, but I'll throw some parts at you..

i7 6700k

Noctua NH-D15 for cooling if you're overclocking. If not you can get a cheaper cooler. If you want water cooling go for it, but I prefer silence over the loud pumps on some units

16gb of 2667mhz DDR4

512gb ssd + 2tb hdd

550w PSU (get a quality one from Seasonic! dont get a cheap one!!!)
GTX 1070

I really like the Fractal Design cases, but it's your choice

I've made some changes. I used PC Part Picker to make things easier. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tWZn8K

shlda gotten a 6700k when it on sale for 275 on ebay by newegg :P

why do you need a 500gb ssd? you can get a 120gb or 240gb ssd for A LOT CHEAPER and use it for the OS only... no need to buy a 500gb ssd lol. can also get a cheaper PSU, u dont need a 650 watt PSU when the pc is 332W you can get a evga 430 or 500 psu for half the price and use the savings on peripherals, mouse/keyboard etc.....

Edited by Gh0sty

go to r/buildapc , r/buildapcsales , anandtech.com/benchmarks

Your build is honestly terrible. You need a much faster processor. Like above users id recommend the i7-6700k. Any z170 motherboard would be useful to have. You dont have a cooler on your build but you'll need one for sure, just make sure it fits your case. Dont need to spend so much on RAM but its whatever. Dish out a nice sum of money on a decent graphics card. The GTX 1070 is nice but a 980ti will do aswell. 

Seriously, go to my reddit sub's and read the wiki. It has everything you need to know. Use anandtech to compare the performance between two parts you're looking at. 

Edited by Radiation X

7 hours ago, Radiation X said:

go to r/buildapc , r/buildapcsales , anandtech.com/benchmarks

Your build is honestly terrible. You need a much faster processor. Like above users id recommend the i7-6700k. Any z170 motherboard would be useful to have. You dont have a cooler on your build but you'll need one for sure, just make sure it fits your case. Dont need to spend so much on RAM but its whatever. Dish out a nice sum of money on a decent graphics card. The GTX 1070 is nice but a 980ti will do aswell. 

Seriously, go to my reddit sub's and read the wiki. It has everything you need to know. Use anandtech to compare the performance between two parts you're looking at. 

his CPU is fine... he dont need one much faster luls.....  i jst said 6700k cuz it was on sale for 299.99 at times and on ebay from newegg it was 275 at one point but its been completely sold out on ebay and newegg lmao

if anything he could get 2 semi-old xeon CPUs for 50-70 bucks each and build a dual cpu build with 32gb-64gb of ram lol..... :D cost would be around 1k or so  lel

Edited by Gh0sty

On 11/28/2016 at 1:47 AM, Gh0sty said:

shlda gotten a 6700k when it on sale for 275 on ebay by newegg :P

why do you need a 500gb ssd? you can get a 120gb or 240gb ssd for A LOT CHEAPER and use it for the OS only... no need to buy a 500gb ssd lol. can also get a cheaper PSU, u dont need a 650 watt PSU when the pc is 332W you can get a evga 430 or 500 psu for half the price and use the savings on peripherals, mouse/keyboard etc.....

@Gh0sty 500w is enough your right, but i'd never suggest skimping on PSU, I'd recommend getting a Gold+ PSU, saves you money over time in electricity and is less likely to fail or harm your other components. Fully Modular is also very nice for cable management and aesthetics. 

6 hours ago, Montreal said:

@Gh0sty 500w is enough your right, but i'd never suggest skimping on PSU, I'd recommend getting a Gold+ PSU, saves you money over time in electricity and is less likely to fail or harm your other components. Fully Modular is also very nice for cable management and aesthetics. 

most cases have the cords hidden from the side with no glass panel fam....   lol 500w is not skimping when the PC build says its going to use 300 or so watts and what a few extra bucks in electrical per month is not a big deal..... chances of your components being harmed cuz of a bad PSU lol not very high nor likely.... thers shit pre built PCs out there with crap PSUs and some people have those for years and years and components are harmed....

Just now, Gh0sty said:

most cases have the cords hidden from the side with no glass panel fam....   lol 500w is not skimping when the PC build says its going to use 300 or so watts and what a few extra bucks in electrical per month is not a big deal..... chances of your components being harmed cuz of a bad PSU lol not very high nor likely.... thers shit pre built PCs out there with crap PSUs and some people have those for years and years and components are harmed....

@Gh0sty You generally always want 30% higher than the rated wattage of your build. In skimping I was speaking regarding the efficiency rating. Gold or Platinum rated WILL save you plenty of money over time. You can lose a lot of energy when the PSU is converting, over time it adds up to a good amount of $. So in the long run you'll save money and also make sure your components are further protected. I've built plenty of HTPCS (use to have a business for this) and other PCs. Just sharing my experience.

You can see in real time the difference between bronze and gold here, a 20 wattage difference:

16 minutes ago, Montreal said:

@Gh0sty You generally always want 30% higher than the rated wattage of your build. In skimping I was speaking regarding the efficiency rating. Gold or Platinum rated WILL save you plenty of money over time. You can lose a lot of energy when the PSU is converting, over time it adds up to a good amount of $. So in the long run you'll save money and also make sure your components are further protected. I've built plenty of HTPCS (use to have a business for this) and other PCs. Just sharing my experience.

You can see in real time the difference between bronze and gold here, a 20 wattage difference:

horrible vid fam i diddnt like it :(

heres a better link explaining stuff, but uh saving 16 dollars on average per year and thats with a PLATINUM PSU.......  the savings arent there frankly and a 500 psu is more than enough. Honestly this would only matter if you're running servers or something like that etc. 

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2012/august/80-plus-platinum-what-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me

6 minutes ago, Gh0sty said:

horrible vid fam i diddnt like it :(

heres a better link explaining stuff, but uh saving 16 dollars on average per year and thats with a PLATINUM PSU.......  the savings arent there frankly and a 500 psu is more than enough. Honestly this would only matter if you're running servers or something like that etc. 

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2012/august/80-plus-platinum-what-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me

@Gh0sty 500 Watts is enough, I've already agreed on that. When you are building any PC you want a PSU 30% higher than your calculated draw power. That's not my opinion, but consensus. The return is definitely not marginal if you run your PC to bot 24/7. It's a return of $36+ dollars per year, even at 12 hours it's $18 a year and in general a better quality PSU than those lower rated.