• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buy OSRS Gold

ScriptsForMains

My first open source script: Plant Pot Buyer

https://tribot.org/repository/script/id/3174

https://github.com/jiggerjaw/TribotOpenSource

About me: I've been on this forum for years under my username "jiggerjaw".  I became frustrated with bans after my main account got banned because I messed up in a GUI.  I started making my own scripts instead.  I want to design scripts that are entirely GUI free and will automatically end after 5 hours.  Every loop I run is checked against infinite loops and every script has progress checks on the main loop to make sure you're getting something done.  I have multiple scripts ready to go, an ensouled head script and a tree planting script are entirely complete and have hours upon hours of successful testing.  I have a clay humidifying script in the works, still need to work on it.  I'd like to make these scripts premium...   Hopefully the code for this potBuyer script shows everyone I'm serious about this.  I'll be showing my understanding of ABC2 in the near future, didn't want it for this script cuz it significantly cuts profit and is unrealistic. 

It would be nice to have my other account's name switched to "ScriptsForMains" so I can keep my post count and membership time...  Posted on the "Help" section and never heard back.   

Edited by ScriptsForMains

1 minute ago, HeyImJamie said:

If you can't figure out how to upload onto the repository, I don't think you'll be getting premium scripter for a while. Gz on the release though :D I'll look at the code soon.

I tried to post a script on my other account.  It told me "The action needs to be reviewed by the moderators". 

Nothing ever happened, and it's not on the repository.  It's not so much I don't know how to click "Submit New Script", rather I don't know how to get the moderators to review and approve it.  The script I submitted was working, I'm not sure why it never got approved and I never got any messages explaining why.  

Just now, ScriptsForMains said:

Do you have any specific recommendations? 

I highly encourage every new scripter to check out the accepted scripter applications. Every application has open source scripts which you can use as a reference for the expectation of your code quality

4 minutes ago, Naton said:

I highly encourage every new scripter to check out the accepted scripter applications. Every application has open source scripts which you can use as a reference for the expectation of your code quality

Thank you for the suggestion...  I actually did look at approved vs denied scripter applications before posting my open source code. Is it not separating my actions into different files that makes it "bad"?  To me, it makes the script harder to follow when you're having to click between different files to see what it does...

The goal I had with this script was showing I know the difference between static/non-static + public/private, show null checking, and show basic knowledge of both java and specifically runescape botting.  

I fully understand I'm a beginning scripter, but without any guidance outside of "you've got a long way to go"...  I don't really know what I need to work on.  

27 minutes ago, ScriptsForMains said:

Thank you for the suggestion...  I actually did look at approved vs denied scripter applications before posting my open source code. Is it not separating my actions into different files that makes it "bad"?  To me, it makes the script harder to follow when you're having to click between different files to see what it does...

The goal I had with this script was showing I know the difference between static/non-static + public/private, show null checking, and show basic knowledge of both java and specifically runescape botting.  

I fully understand I'm a beginning scripter, but without any guidance outside of "you've got a long way to go"...  I don't really know what I need to work on.  

You can compare your code to the scripter applications.

I'm really busy at the moment but here's a few things:

Be consistent with naming and follow java naming conventions. This is a pretty simple thing and will make your code look much better. This means upper case class names.

There's no reason for the class to extend Script. All of these methods can be static methods. The General class in the TRiBot API has methods to sleep and print to the debug. https://github.com/jiggerjaw/TribotOpenSource/blob/master/common.java

You definitely should look into dynamic sleeps. Timing.waitCondition should always be used over static sleeps.

I recommend breaking up your main method into several different methods, if you don't want to use multiple classes. Look into the enum script idea that many people use.

Also you seem to be overdoing it with the loop counters and stuff although I haven't really looked too much into it.

Edited by Naton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Naton said:

Be consistent with naming and follow java naming conventions. This is a pretty simple thing and will make your code look much better. This means upper case class names.

There's no reason for the class to extend Script. All of these methods can be static methods. The General class in the TRiBot API has methods to sleep and print to the debug. https://github.com/jiggerjaw/TribotOpenSource/blob/master/common.java

You definitely should look into dynamic sleeps. Timing.waitCondition should always be used over static sleeps.

I recommend breaking up your main method into several different methods, if you don't want to use multiple classes. Look into the enum script idea that many people use.

Also you seem to be overdoing it with the loop counters and stuff although I haven't really looked too much into it.

Thank you!  I really do appreciate the advice.  The loop counters are my personal preference since too many times (even on premium scripts) I've come back to my computer to find the bot in an infinite loop. I know it's overkill for most things since they're seemingly un-failable, but I don't want to assume something will work no matter what and get people banned.  

Again, thank you for the advice.  I'll look into the dynamic wait times now and will use proper naming conventions going forward. 

57 minutes ago, Naton said:

Double thanks for pointing out the "General" class... I looked through the api for something like this but couldn't find it.  

6 minutes ago, ScriptsForMains said:

Question about extending Script... 

Isn't it easier to extend script than to type General.println every time you have to print? The only drawback I could foresee is if I wanted to name a function the exact same name as something in Script but that's doubtful... 

You shouldn't be extending script on any class except your scripts Main class. 1. You'll break your script, and 2. Just no. 

You could pass the script instance, but I don't see the need. You have more important things to learn / fix / worry about than typing General a few times. :)

private int stuck=0; //used if anything in script fails (ends main loop)

Variables that will only hold one of two values (0 and 1 in this case) should be of type boolean.

The boolean values 'true' and 'false' are much more intuitive, they make the code easier to understand, and when compared to integer values, they are impossible to mistype (your compiler will immediately notify you if you typed "trie" instead of "true", but it won't do the same if you are using integer flags and typed 2 instead of 1). This might not be a problem when your code base is 200 lines long, but as you will get more experience and your programs will consist of tens of thousands of lines of code, those bad practices could end up costing you hours and hours of debugging.

However, my suggestion would be to remove the "redundancy" system all together; I don't think it serves any purpose other than making the code extremely difficult to read.

6 hours ago, Einstein said:
private int stuck=0; //used if anything in script fails (ends main loop)

Variables that will only hold one of two values (0 and 1 in this case) should be of type boolean.

The boolean values 'true' and 'false' are much more intuitive, they make the code easier to understand, and when compared to integer values, they are impossible to mistype (your compiler will immediately notify you if you typed "trie" instead of "true", but it won't do the same if you are using integer flags and typed 2 instead of 1). This might not be a problem when your code base is 200 lines long, but as you will get more experience and your programs will consist of tens of thousands of lines of code, those bad practices could end up costing you hours and hours of debugging.

However, my suggestion would be to remove the "redundancy" system all together; I don't think it serves any purpose other than making the code extremely difficult to read.

Thank you for the explanation! I debated using booleans but figured it's shorter to type stuck=0 than stuck=false...  I never thought about debugging.  This is the exact "sage" type of advice I'm hoping to find by working with you guys. It's much more meaningful than just being told to do something a certain way because other people do it. 

I agree the redundancies make it harder to read but I'm going for scripts that are entirely impossible to break.  Say the script asks you to withdraw an item.  Sometimes when it's laggy, Tribot attempts to withdraw the item but fails.  To be safe, the script would need to just end since there's the possibility that it's failing because the item isn't available, inventory is full, etc.  However, we don't want our scripts to end after any bout of lag. The only plausible solutions I found were mine (putting these type of actions on a loop which ends after successful withdraw or too many iterations) or checking if the action is do-able (ie. check that inventory has enough free space, check that the item is in the bank, etc) and then loop the task until it's successful. 

Neither option is super code friendly, but honestly my goal isn't making my code easy to read, it's making sure users don't get banned for stupid things (like repeatedly trying to withdraw an item even though your inventory is full).  I chose looping a certain number of times because it's easier than changing the code between different tasks (withdrawing vs casting spell vs depositing vs whatever else...).  Normally the tasks would have different requirements (runes/mage lvl for a spell, bank space for depositing vs inventory space for withdrawing, etc...).  By using these loopChecks, I can just copy and paste the same code.  I thought about making a function for the loop check, but it would require using a BooleanSupplier that provides a getAsBoolean() to gauge if the action was successful. I typed it out and the code gets messier when trying to call the function than just typing out the whole loop check every time.    

I hope my refusal to remove my redundancies doesn't make it seem like I don't value your opinion...  Even some of the best scripts have gotten me banned when I chose a wrong option in the GUI or something and it sat there for 2 hours looping because of a small oversight by the coder.  Ideally, the code would be perfect and us coders think of everything that could go wrong...  Realistically, none of us our perfect and the redundancies make sure no one gets banned because of my mistake.  

If there's anything else I should work on, please let me know!  I'll go through and change all bi-value variables to booleans.  I really do appreciate responses that explain things...  Other posts telling me (as an example) not to Extend Script for classes outside of my main class "because it will break things" doesn't really help me become a better coder. My understanding is if the functions/variables in my classes don't share names with Script or each other than everything should work fine. I guess this isn't the case, but an explanation on why would be nice if you have time @HeyImJamie. I've went ahead and changed it, but don't really know why it was necessary.  

Thanks for all the help everyone! Look forward to working with you all. 

16 minutes ago, ScriptsForMains said:

This is the exact "sage" type of advice I'm hoping to find by working with you guys. It's much more meaningful than just being told to do something a certain way because other people do it.

I'm more than happy to help.

It's a good thing that you question things instead of following advice blindly. This way you are more likely to get a solid understanding of what you are doing.

You can keep the "redundancy" if you want, but try to find a more elegant solution. I would suggest using a simple boolean flag on which the script will decide whether or not it should continue running. As soon as the script encounters a problem from which it cannot safely recover, crash the script and log out.

However, given how basic this script is, the only situation that could possibly render the script unable to continue would be running out of gold. All the other imaginable scenarios, from repeatedly failing to trade the NPC, to a retarded player closing the door when the bot attempts to enter the shop, can all be solved through code. Our API is more nuanced than it appears at first. A lot of methods return values based on the success of the interaction. You can learn how to use those methods and their return values to overcome any obstacle and make the script run indefinitely.

1 hour ago, ScriptsForMains said:

honestly my goal isn't making my code easy to read

It should be.

I would say that making the code look nice is the third most important goal. The first being functionality (the code works), followed by efficiency (the code is time or resource efficient). By no means I am saying that you should remove features from the code for the sake of simplicity, but what I am saying is that the same thing can be written in many different ways, some being better than others.

I'll re-write your script to show you an example in a few hours, when I'm back home.

16 hours ago, ScriptsForMains said:

Question about extending Script... 

Isn't it easier to extend script than to type General.println every time you have to print? The only drawback I could foresee is if I wanted to name a function the exact same name as something in Script but that's doubtful... 

The reason it shouldn't extend script is quite simple - its not a script. You really shouldn't worry about the extra time it takes to type General.println vs println. If this truly bothers you than you can make some interface that contains default methods as wrappers for the General methods. I wouldn't recommend this though.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I'm more than happy to help.

It's a good thing that you question things instead of following advice blindly. This way you are more likely to get a solid understanding of what you are doing.

You can keep the "redundancy" if you want, but try to find a more elegant solution. I would suggest using a simple boolean flag on which the script will decide whether or not it should continue running. As soon as the script encounters a problem from which it cannot safely recover, crash the script and log out.

However, given how basic this script is, the only situation that could possibly render the script unable to continue would be running out of gold. All the other imaginable scenarios, from repeatedly failing to trade the NPC, to a retarded player closing the door when the bot attempts to enter the shop, can all be solved through code. Our API is more nuanced than it appears at first. A lot of methods return values based on the success of the interaction. You can learn how to use those methods and their return values to overcome any obstacle and make the script run indefinitely.

It should be.

I would say that making the code look nice is the third most important goal. The first being functionality (the code works), followed by efficiency (the code is time or resource efficient). By no means I am saying that you should remove features from the code for the sake of simplicity, but what I am saying is that the same thing can be written in many different ways, some being better than others.

I'll re-write your script to show you an example in a few hours, when I'm back home.

That's an incredible offer... Before you do, I'll submit a "v1.0" that is simple to look at.  

This is a fine example of why I use the loops...
In Fluffee's tutorial script (a script I think we can all agree is well written), something got corrupted and the script was telling my character to continuously try to click on something inside of the walls.  Clearly bot behavior...  I don't want to get someone's main account banned because the bot doesn't have loop checks.  

1 hour ago, ScriptsForMains said:

This is a fine example of why I use the loops...
In Fluffee's tutorial script (a script I think we can all agree is well written), something got corrupted and the script was telling my character to continuously try to click on something inside of the walls.  Clearly bot behavior...  I don't want to get someone's main account banned because the bot doesn't have loop checks.  

I'll be brutally honest with you. Your application will not pass using your 'redundancy' loops, no matter how much you claim they're needed. They're horrific to read, and any script that involves any level of complexity and I think you'll really struggle. Even with them in place, your script will inevitably fail at some point as well. I could probably break it without even reading your code. There are 'generally' far too many edge cases when botting to counter-act everything.

Without being mean, just to further my above point. From line 129, you reset your 'failsafe' count to 0, then check the interface 300 != null. What happens if the interface returns null? You're then stuck in your dreaded deadlock, even with all the failsafes you've put in place. :P

} else {
                                loopCount = 0;
                                while (Interfaces.get(300)!=null) {
                                    c.sleepRand(100, 250);
                                    loopCount++;
                                    if (loopCount > 5) {
                                        println("Failed to close trade window 5 times, ending script to avoid bans");
                                        stuck = true;
                                        break;
                                    }

if (Interfaces.get(300, 1, 11).click("Close")) {
                                        println("Closed window");
                                    } else {
                                        println("Failed to close window");
                                    }
                                }

}

2 minutes ago, HeyImJamie said:

Without being mean, just to further my above point. From line 129, you reset your 'failsafe' count to 0, then check the interface 300 != null. What happens if the interface returns null? You're then stuck in your dreaded deadlock, even with all the failsafes you've put in place. :P

} else {
                                loopCount = 0;
                                while (Interfaces.get(300)!=null) {
                                    c.sleepRand(100, 250);
                                    loopCount++;
                                    if (loopCount > 5) {
                                        println("Failed to close trade window 5 times, ending script to avoid bans");
                                        stuck = true;
                                        break;
                                    }

println("Closed window");
                                    } else {
                                        println("Failed to close window");
                                    }
                                }

}

I'm confused... If the interface returns null, it ends the while loop.  (since Interfaces.get(300)==null) 

If it loops 5 times attempting to click "close" and the interface is still open after the fifth time, it ends the script.  

6 minutes ago, HeyImJamie said:

What happens if the interface returns null? You're then stuck in your dreaded deadlock

The code never executes. It can't get stuck.

The only bad thing that can happen is a null pointer exception a few lines below, as this value is used without being checked.

Edited by Einstein