Jump to content

Wannabe Scripter


Recommended Posts

This is my attempt at introducing myself to the scripting community :)

A few months ago I was looking for a specific script but couldn't find a public/premium version of it. Instead of thinking about asking a premium scripter to make a private version for me, I jumped at the idea of making my own thinking "how hard could it be?". So I started learning java off youtube and I've made the small achievement of not giving up even though I have no computer science background.  

Currently, I'm on video # 36 out of an 87 video tutorial on Java and if I survive the next 49 videos, I'll finally start looking into the Tribot API and making my own simple scripts. Obviously, I'll be googling or looking at the tutorials posted here first for most of my questions but if I bug one or two of you premium scripters, I hope you'll be patient with me. 

I would greatly appreciate any posts about recommended tutorials or links that you guys/girls can think of (or general advice). 

P.S. I hope to one day apply for scripter rank and then premium scripter.

P.P.S. I'm coming for your profits :)

 

Edited by gyrate
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, IceKontroI said:

There are quite a few open source tribot scripts, once you finish your video series and are comfortable in the language, that would probably be a good starting point.

A few other scripters pointed me in that direction as well. I'll alternate between looking at the open source scripts and the API and see how each method and class is utilized 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gyrate said:

I would greatly appreciate any posts about recommended tutorials

Since you've decided to actually learn Java before attempting to write scripts, you've started this journey off the right foot.

Videos are nice, but reading is even better, and it's indispensable if you want fully grasp advanced (or even basic) concepts.

 

Here's a brief introduction to Java, it will give you an idea of what programming is and what role Java plays in the whole scheme. Understanding why you need to learn something can only motivate you to keep at it. https://tribot.org/forums/topic/75158-introduction-to-java/

After you're done, I highly suggest going through the official Oracle tutorials, you can't really explain it better than the guys that are maintaining the language: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

 

Once you're familiar with Java, go ahead and follow some scripting tutorials (there are plenty on the forums), skim through our API, and read open source code from the accepted section of the application subforum. Most of us know what we're doing, and some of us had decent code at the time when we applied. 

Sadly this can't be said about my old repository, as the code makes me shiver every time I read it. I will write some new open source scripts to help out the newcomers, but until then I strongly suggest finding cleaner code somewhere else.

 

9 hours ago, gyrate said:

(or general advice). 

This applies to @ScriptsForMains @Jerminater @Genka @UKF_HHA or any other user that wants or wanted at some point to become a scripter:

  • Learn to work without other people's positive feedback, it won't always be there.
  • Evaluate and criticize your own code, always strive for improvement and never believe that you've already achieved peak performance.
  • Ignore everyone and just shoot for your goals. Do not let others tell you what you can and cannot do, some of them are unbelievably incompetent themselves.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Since you've decided to actually learn Java before attempting to write scripts, you've started this journey off the right foot.

Videos are nice, but reading is even better, and it's indispensable if you want fully grasp advanced (or even basic) concepts.

 

Here's a brief introduction to Java, it will give you an idea of what programming is and what role Java plays in the whole scheme. Understanding why you need to learn something can only motivate you to keep at it. https://tribot.org/forums/topic/75158-introduction-to-java/

 

  • Learn to work without other people's positive feedback, it won't always be there.
  • Evaluate and criticize your own code, always strive for improvement and never believe that you've already achieved peak performance.
  • Ignore everyone and just shoot for your goals. Do not let others tell you what you can and cannot do, some of them are unbelievably incompetent themselves.

 

 

I had your intro bookmarked as soon as I started looking into java haha, thanks for taking the time to write it out. The videos are my first step since I'm using them practically and following along with the methods/classes the youtuber makes so I know how things are used together, after that I'll get down to reading yours and other people's written guides while I try to piece together the puzzle that is actual scripting. 

Thanks for the general tips as well, I'll keep a filter up and develop some thicker skin :) 

Edited by gyrate
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 9:42 PM, gyrate said:

I would greatly appreciate any posts about recommended tutorials or links that you guys/girls can think of (or general advice). 

I may not have been around too long, or made any great scripts for the public, but I did learn quite a lot. I actually started to learn how to code by reading a book, and deciphering other people's open source scripts. (more on this later, as there are MUCH better ways)

I was tagged in this post by @Einstein so got an email, and am checking it out. I do not come on here too often anymore due to quite a significant life change. However, I have to give my fair share of advice too after reading this post.

Over the past 8 months or so, I started to develop iOS apps, to begin software development on the side, and create various tools for my company use. One thing I learned: All code is garbage. What I mean by this, is that there is almost always a way to do it better, and when you look at it, it is always hard to interpret. So never look at someones script and believe it to be perfect. Look for ways to improve it.

Another thing: It is way harder to read code than it is to write it. So if you ever feel overwhelmed by looking at something someone else coded, remember that everyone else probably thinks the same. Even the person who wrote the code, if they don't constantly look at it, they are just as confused too. I know this from experience. I have no idea what I was thinking when I look back at some old code, but it works, and works well. Even with comments, I find it hard. This is the nature of code, and why it is constantly evolving and why every company out there is constantly rewriting old code. (Take this with a grain of salt though... there are many algorithms out there that will work just as good 500 years down the line.)

Another another thing: Coding is a very intimate thing. It is just like if you were to tell someone your secrets. How you code is like putting your personality onto a page, and everyone is unique. Just because you do something different does not mean you are wrong. Often times someone will nit pick what you do. Just remember that as long as what you wrote works just as well as the way they wrote it, there is nothing wrong (Unless one method has a higher space/time complexity at least, most times this is insignificant too though). Take what they said and learn from it, maybe even rewrite what you did to use their recommendation. Don't think it is a bad thing though. Just a different thing. Yes there are standards you should follow, but still. Just a different thing that you should do, but don't HAVE to do. Unless you are trying to impress someone looking at your code, all that matters in the end is that it functions as intended. 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:36 AM, Einstein said:

Videos are nice, but reading is even better, and it's indispensable if you want fully grasp advanced (or even basic) concepts.

We should really try to be objective here. Everyone learns in a different way. Some people learn better by looking at examples, some by reading, some by doing, some by watching someone else do.

I for one, love reading, and love videos. In fact, I've found lately that videos, provided I have examples and an good instructor to follow, are much better.

Strongly advise that anyone getting into scripting look here for some great videos. This is an online course in Java that is 78 hours long, and I went through the course a few months ago. I learned far more from this course than I did through any books, and any YouTube tutorials, and looking at anyone's code here.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:36 AM, Einstein said:

You can't really explain it better than the guys that are maintaining the language.

I object! (see above)

On 4/27/2019 at 7:36 AM, Einstein said:
  • Learn to work without other people's positive feedback, it won't always be there.
  • Evaluate and criticize your own code, always strive for improvement and never believe that you've already achieved peak performance.
  • Ignore everyone and just shoot for your goals. Do not let others tell you what you can and cannot do, some of them are unbelievably incompetent themselves  just bullies. Make it your personal goal to show them that you CAN and that you WILL do it, and be all the better from it.

*better

 

Jerm out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jerminater said:

Another thing: It is way harder to read code than it is to write it. So if you ever feel overwhelmed by looking at something someone else coded, remember that everyone else probably thinks the same. Even the person who wrote the code, if they don't constantly look at it, they are just as confused too. I know this from experience. I have no idea what I was thinking when I look back at some old code, but it works, and works well. Even with comments, I find it hard. This is the nature of code, and why it is constantly evolving and why every company out there is constantly rewriting old code. (Take this with a grain of salt though... there are many algorithms out there that will work just as good 500 years down the line.)

Another another thing: Coding is a very intimate thing. It is just like if you were to tell someone your secrets. How you code is like putting your personality onto a page, and everyone is unique. Just because you do something different does not mean you are wrong. Often times someone will nit pick what you do. Just remember that as long as what you wrote works just as well as the way they wrote it, there is nothing wrong (Unless one method has a higher space/time complexity at least, most times this is insignificant too though). Take what they said and learn from it, maybe even rewrite what you did to use their recommendation. Don't think it is a bad thing though. Just a different thing. Yes there are standards you should follow, but still. Just a different thing that you should do, but don't HAVE to do. Unless you are trying to impress someone looking at your code, all that matters in the end is that it functions as intended. 

8

appreciate the input! I'll try to stay objective and get through it. The first two tips I'm glad you reminded me of because it's easy to forget coding a script can be done in multiple ways, all equally decent, and reading code is pretty difficult, even when you wrote it yourself. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

So how goes it? For the past couple of weeks I've been following the "java made easy" course pretty intesively, while taking notes. Followed some scripting tutorials on tribot, specifically the powerminer on youtube and trillez's scripting tutorial. However im still pretty lost on how to actually construct my own script and how to implement specific API methods, such as dynamic clicking.  I'm actually very eager to get a hang of this. So maybe we can help each other out somehow.

Edited by cheezeweez456
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cheezeweez456 said:

So how goes it? For the past couple of weeks I've been following the "java made easy" course pretty intesively, while taking notes. Followed some scripting tutorials on tribot, specifically the powerminer on youtube and trillez's scripting tutorial. However im still pretty lost on how to actually construct my own script and how to implement specific API methods, such as dynamic clicking.  I'm actually very eager to get a hang of this. So maybe we can help each other out somehow.

It goes slowly, I'm still focused on getting a proper understanding of java so I decided to sign up for a udemy course that Jerminator linked to in his post above. By the end of this month though I'm going to dive in and try making some simple script. I tend to get too caught up in the nitty-gritty details instead of experimenting (which is why I'm still stuck learning java haha). We can definitely try doing this together if you like thought currently I have less knowledge about tribot's api than you. Reach out to me on discord since I'm online there more often. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Our picks

    • TRiBot 12 Release Candidate

      The TRiBot team has been hard at work creating the last major version of TRiBot before the TRiBot X release. We've noticed many problems with TRiBot 11 with a lot of users preferring TRiBot 10 over 11. We've heard you, so we took TRiBot 10, added the new features introduced with 11, introduced some other new things, and created TRiBot 12. So without further adieu, here's TRiBot 12.
        • Sad
        • Like
      • 39 replies
    • Gradle is a build tool used to accelerate developer productivity.

      We recently setup a Maven repository (TRiBot Central) to make it easier for scripters to create scripts. Check it out here: https://gitlab.com/trilez-software/tribot/tribot-central/-/packages

      Furthermore, we've released a simple Gradle project to make it easy to run TRiBot and develop scripts for it. Check it out here: https://gitlab.com/trilez-software/tribot/tribot-gradle-launcher

      The goals of TRiBot Central are to:

      Deliver updates to TRiBot faster


      Better organize TRiBot's dependencies (AKA dependancies)


      Make it easier to develop scripts for TRiBot


      Make it easier to use and run TRiBot


      Note: TRiBot won't be able to run scripts from within this project until TRiBot's next release.
        • Like
      • 13 replies
    • Hi everyone,

      I'd like to thank everyone for their patience in this transition period. Since last week, we've worked out the remaining bugs with this integration.

      Some users have still been having issues with connecting their forums account to their Auth0 account. To resolve this, we've imported all forums accounts into Auth0.

      Unfortunately, the accounts which were imported today were using an unsupported password hashing algorithm. Hence, random passwords were set during the import.

      What does this mean for me?

      If you've previously linked your forums account to your Auth0 account, you don't have to do anything. Nothing changes for you.


      If you haven't logged in via our new login yet,

      Try logging in with your forums email address and the last password you used


      If you are unable to login, please use the "Forgot password" tool on the login page:
      Follow the instructions to reset your password
       
        • thonking
        • Like
      • 17 replies
    • Hello everyone,

      Last week we tried to roll out Auth0 Login, but we lost that battle. Now it's time to win the war!

      Important changes

      When logging into the client, you'll now have to enter your Auth0 account credentials instead of your forums credentials

      Note: 2FA is still handled through your forums account (for the time being)



      Changes for existing users

      You'll have to link your Auth0 account to your forums account here: https://tribot.org/forums/settings/login/?service=11


      Auth0 accounts have been created for most existing users. Please use your forums email address and password to login.



      Important notes

      Make sure to verify your email address upon creating a new Auth0 account


      When we mention your Auth0 account, we mean your account used for auth.tribot.org as displayed below
      • 81 replies
    • To better support the upcoming changes (TRiBot X, new repository), we're switching our login handler to Auth0. Instead of logging in with the standard form, you'll now be required to login through our Auth0 application.

      All existing accounts which have been used within approximately the past year have been imported into Auth0 using the same email and password combination which has been stored on the forums.

      What does this mean for users?

      Your account credentials are now even more securely stored


      You'll be able to login via Facebook, Google, and others in the future


      Is there anything users have to do differently now?

      Existing users: You'll have to login with the standard login, open your Account Settings, then link your Auth0 account


      New users: You'll be redirected to our Auth0 app (auth.tribot.org) where you'll be able to create an account


      Why was this change made?

      The new apps we are creating (such as the new repository) aren't able to use the forums to handle user logins


      To centralize all user accounts in one area


      To ensure that the client login doesn't go down when the forums are having problems


      To speed up our development


      Other considerations

      There's no documentation or official support for using Invision Community combined with Auth0, so there are still a few kinks we're working out


      We're in the works of creating an account management panel specifically for Auth0 accounts (ETA August)


      It's not possible to change email addresses for the time being (this will be resolved this August)


      Changing passwords is a weird process for the time being. To change your password, you'll have to use the "Don't remember your password" tool on the Auth0 login page
        • Like
      • 11 replies
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...