Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buy OSRS Gold

Wastedbro

Introduction to the Tribot 11 Automation Client

With the release of Tribot 11.0.9 (currently beta), a new feature is added to allow for programmatic client automation. I'm going to over how to use it, with a couple of low level examples.

Introduction

The Tribot Automation Client is a low-level way to interact with the client at a programmatic level. This is not a GUI feature, nor can it be set up without code (yet). In short, we've enabled the client to communicate with external applications via websockets. This allows you to connect your tribot processes to your servers, whether locally on your computer, or remote. This should provide a fantastic way to add remote features to the client, such as a bot panel, automated farm, monitoring, etc. 

Even if you never use a remote server, this interface would allow you to create tribot tooling that enables workflows that go above the script. For example, a smarter breaking system, or a better script queue, etc. You can even make your own CLI for running clients!

Prerequisites

• Knowledge in webserver programming (any language)
  • Basic knowledge in websocket communication (two-way)
  • JSON-RPC 2.0 Protocol (spec link)

Terminology

• server is a system that accepts connections
  • client is system that attempts to connect to a server
  • connection is a two-way communication system. Both the client and server can each send messages to each other, meaning there is no difference between them other than the way they connect. In this regard, a server can have zero-to-many client connects, and a client can only have one connection to a server.

How does the automation client work?

When Tribot first opens up, it will look for a config file called "automation-settings.json" within the ".tribot/settings" directory. This file will not be created automatically by tribot. You must provide it. If Tribot cannot find this file, it will not open any sockets.

This file has a single field:

{
    "webServerUrl": "http://localhost:8374"
}

All you need to provide is a URL to your server, which includes the port. In this case, Tribot will attempt to open a websocket connection to a server running on the local machine using port 8374.

Once the connection is made, the Tribot websocket client will accept messages that follow JSON-RPC 2.0 specification. It will then try to locate the method you specified to call with your arguments. It will execute the method, then return the results back in JSON-RPC format.

Methods for the client

Format: method(param1, param2)

• getTabs()
    • Returns a list of open tabs for the tribot process, with their IDs, username of the account running, and the name of the script running.
    • Example return message: { "id": 1, "username": "MyRSAccount", "script": "Wasted Chopper" }
  • addNewClientTab(name, world)
    • Opens a new tab in the tribot client. The tab will be named from the "name" parameter, and will start the game in the world specified by "world". Both of these parameters can be null, and a new tab will open like normal. Returns an empty response.
  • removeClientTab(tabId)
    • Removes the specified tab from the tribot client, closing the game. This will return an empty response.
  • startScript(tabId, accountName, breakProfileName, scriptName, scriptArgs)
    • Starts a script for the specified tab, using the parameters specified. Everything except the "scriptName" and "tabId" can be null. Returns an empty response.
  • stopScript(tabId)
    • Stops a script for the specified tab. Returns an empty response.
  • pauseScript(tabId)
    • Pauses a script for the specified tab. Returns an empty response.
  • unPauseScript(tabId)
    • Unpauses a script for the specified tab. Returns an empty response.
  • getStat(tabId, stat)
    • Returns the specified stat level of the account that's logged in within the specified tab. The "stat" parameter must match the Tribot STATS enum.
  • getInventoryItems(tabId)
    • Returns a list of inventory items of the account that's logged in within the specified tab. The return value will be a 2-dimensional array, with the overarching array being the list of items, and the inner arrays being the itemID and stack at indexes 0 and 1. The inner arrays will always be 2 elements.
  • getPosition(tabId)
    • Returns the position of the account that's logged in within the specified tab. The return value will be an integer array in the format of [X, Y, Plane]. It will always be 3 elements representing the tile coordinates.
  • isLoggedIn(tabId)
    • Returns true if the game is logged in for the specified tab, and false otherwise.
  • getSetting(tabId, setting)
    • Returns the value of the specified game setting for the specified tab.
  • getVarbit(tabId, varbit)
    • Returns the value of the specified game varbit for the specified tab.

Webserver Example (Kotlin)

In this example, a webserver will listen on 8374. Once a client connects, it will send a request for the "getTabs" method. It will then listen for messages sent back to it for that specific client and print out any it receives.

Link: https://gist.github.com/WBScripting/258783dcfef4521fb32715254562286e

If you run this app, open tribot 11, then open two clients (within 10 seconds), you'll see this exchange:

Tribot Process Connected...
Sending request:
{"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":"1","method":"getTabs"}
Received Response:
{"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":"1","result":[{"id":1,"username":"unimplemented"},{"id":2,"username":"unimplemented"}]}

Webserver Example (Java)

Coming soon...

Notes:

• The webserver can be in any language. The messages are sent through plaintext via websocket, so they are not at all language-specific. You can create automation tools in NodeJS, Java, Kotlin, C#, Python, Go, etc.
  • Most of the methods will give a response with no value. The response is what signals that the method is complete. In the future, I hope to add more info the results.
  • Your webserver doesn't need to be the system that actually controls the clients. For example, you could create a webserver that simply served up the functionality via REST API, so that you can get this information via a stateless REST service. The possibilities are endless.
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Definitely going to try to make something cool with this, thanks!

I mentioned this in discord but it'd be awesome to have the ability to define custom rpc methods (which could, for example, be loaded client-side like scripts when the websocket client is created). The framework this automation client provides is very powerful. Personally, I'd like to create a bot panel that people could use to monitor their clients but without custom rpc methods the bot panel wouldn't provide much extra to users.

Edited by Naton

3 hours ago, Naton said:

Definitely going to try to make something cool with this, thanks!

I mentioned this in discord but it'd be awesome to have the ability to define custom rpc methods (which could, for example, be loaded client-side like scripts when the websocket client is created). The framework this automation client provides is very powerful. Personally, I'd like to create a bot panel that people could use to monitor their clients but without custom rpc methods the bot panel wouldn't provide much extra to users.

What kind of functionality do you need? Perhaps we can figure something out. 

One thing we can't do is allow RPC methods to actually call API methods that send input to the client, like clicks or keys. But you can use this tool to stop a script, run your own script, then rerun the previous script. This would be helpful with muling, for example.

2 hours ago, wastedbro said:

What kind of functionality do you need? Perhaps we can figure something out. 

One thing we can't do is allow RPC methods to actually call API methods that send input to the client, like clicks or keys. But you can use this tool to stop a script, run your own script, then rerun the previous script. This would be helpful with muling, for example.

I totally understand that - input definitely shouldn't be allowed because it would likely break things (this could be left up to the implementer to just not do dumb things? like how you shouldn't do input in your onPaint method in a script or something of that nature. People would notice pretty quickly that it would mess up their scripts if they ever did try to implement something like that).

A few examples of things that I would be able to handle with custom rpc methods are:

Sending screenshots. I can optimize them to be very fast by taking advantage of the fact that my server would be running java as well. There's a trick you can do with BufferedImage to send an image much quicker than something like Image.IO but its really only helpful if the server is running java as well, therefore it isn't suited well for a public method. Random optimizations like these would be benefits of having custom rpc methods. The trick involves this ((DataBufferInt) image.getRaster().getDataBuffer()).getData(); and then reloading that into a BufferedImage.

Custom server notifications. I could send notifications to the server on chat messages or death for example, that could be displayed to the user. There's so many different possibilities.

Keeping track of state client side such as a bank item cache.

I'm not 100% on what functionality users would want yet, its hard for me to gauge everything in advance, though I am working on figuring out what features are desired. Part of the reason I want custom rpc methods so badly is that it would allow me to add any functionality in the future that is desired with really only being limited by my own motivation.

52 minutes ago, Naton said:

I totally understand that - input definitely shouldn't be allowed because it would likely break things (this could be left up to the implementer to just not do dumb things? like how you shouldn't do input in your onPaint method in a script or something of that nature. People would notice pretty quickly that it would mess up their scripts if they ever did try to implement something like that).

A few examples of things that I would be able to handle with custom rpc methods are:

Sending screenshots. I can optimize them to be very fast by taking advantage of the fact that my server would be running java as well. There's a trick you can do with BufferedImage to send an image much quicker than something like Image.IO but its really only helpful if the server is running java as well, therefore it isn't suited well for a public method. Random optimizations like these would be benefits of having custom rpc methods. The trick involves this ((DataBufferInt) image.getRaster().getDataBuffer()).getData(); and then reloading that into a BufferedImage.

Custom server notifications. I could send notifications to the server on chat messages or death for example, that could be displayed to the user. There's so many different possibilities.

Keeping track of state client side such as a bank item cache.

I'm not 100% on what functionality users would want yet, its hard for me to gauge everything in advance, though I am working on figuring out what features are desired. Part of the reason I want custom rpc methods so badly is that it would allow me to add any functionality in the future that is desired with really only being limited by my own motivation.

I see.

That type of functionality was supposed to be enabled by the plugin system, but that's been pushed back to Tribot X. 

Perhaps we can add something more primitive to Tribot 11 that would still allow this functionality. However, with the new projects going on, we might not be able to allocate the resources.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naton said:

Would you be able to add the ability to specify an account password when starting a script (so that the accounts don't have to be in the account manager)?

Yes, I think so. I should be able to make it so you can replace the "account name" string with a JSON object like:

account: {
  name: "MyAccountUserName"
  password: "pass"
  pin: "1234"
}

I will try to add it this weekend.

• Like 6

On 6/16/2020 at 5:48 PM, Wastedbro said:

Yes, I think so. I should be able to make it so you can replace the "account name" string with a JSON object like:

account: {
  name: "MyAccountUserName"
  password: "pass"
  pin: "1234"
}

I will try to add it this weekend.

Has this been implemented? It would be very uesful

Posted (edited)

Is there a way to get the websocket via script for scripters to use the socket for custom messaging to the server? 

Answered on discord - No, we can open our own WebSocket connection though

Edited by Plee

Posted (edited)

Hey WastedBro, I tried two commands as of 11.3 update (the one that says it fixed the automation client) and here were my results: 

var obj = {
 16     "jsonrpc": "2.0",
 17     "id": "1",
 18     "method": "getTabs"
 20 }
  • [2020-07-19 09:56:26] Received Automation Message:
  • [2020-07-19 09:56:26] {"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":"1","method":"getTabs"}

End of response, nothing else, when you give it the data "params": [], it just returns the text "false".

Additionally, I have tried another command:

15  var obj = {
 16     "jsonrpc": "2.0",
 17     "id": "1",
 18     "method": "addNewClientTab",
 19 	"params": ["maggy", 471]
 20 }

I get the same result: Received automation message then my json object as string back to me, no client behavior exhibited.

Now granted, I know that this is a very new implementation to Tribot 11 and I respect the effort to design something like this, but even if its not in its complete working state, shouldn't there be something printed in the debug in regards to my command?

Edited by maggyD

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct place to post it.  I seem to be having an issue getting this websocket working properly. I have used the following json object in "automation-settings.json" file.

{
}

The port doesn't seem to respond to anything. I would expect to see a tcp port opened but I see nothing.  Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be welcomed

tested via

nmap -sT -p8374 127.0.0.1 --reason

Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org )
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up, received localhost-response.

PORT     STATE    SERVICE REASON
8374/tcp filtered unknown no-response

26 minutes ago, Romanz said:

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct place to post it.  I seem to be having an issue getting this websocket working properly. I have used the following json object in "automation-settings.json" file.

{
}

The port doesn't seem to respond to anything. I would expect to see a tcp port opened but I see nothing.  Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be welcomed

tested via

The port you're pointing Tribot to is what tribot connects to. Tribot will not open the port nor have anything that will respond to requests on that port. It's kind of the opposite. You are supposed to provide the server. The client will connect to it and accept commands from your server.

The "server" in this context being simply being something that accepts a websocket connection. You can run it locally.

Edited by Wastedbro