Nullable's Dev Blog #1 - Forum Integration

Nullable

It's been a while since our forums actually integrated with the rest of the system. For over a year the VIP/Tribot Subscriber sync stopped working as we changed stores. Part of the new forums was moving everything over from AWS to a Digital Ocean droplet. On its face this seems like a downgrade, but this forum software really wasn't meant to be deployed in a distributed way. We can achieve all the same benefits in a much cheaper way, which is why I did it like this.

One very important benefit here is the ability to access the database directly from our other systems that sit on different machines. That, along with the forum API, I'll be implementing a few features in the next week or so:

• Tribot subscriber rank sync. If you are a tribot subscriber, your forum rank will show it
  • Discord webhooks so that our discord users have better visibility to new forum posts
  • A giveaway function to pick random winners for any given thread

Our main codebase is a distributed monolith, meaning it's one "application" that we deploy as multiple processes onto separate machines simultaneously. The code for all this will live there and talk to the forums. I'll likely implement the sync as both something that happens when someone's VIP is purchased, as well as a nightly cron that removes the rank for those who aren't subscribed.

The cron gets executed as a Kubernetes job. All it actually does is call a given endpoint on our monolith system to actually run something. A lot more complicated than a traditional linux cron job, but that's distributed programming for you. Luckily I have that system already built out, so adding more cron functions is quite easy.

If anyone has any more forum integration ideas, feel free to post them here!

3 hours ago, SkrrtNick said:

Integrating the store with the respective script forum thread would be an amazing addition!

I swear this used to be a feature. I think it would be a good addition for sure. Also, maybe a dark mode for the store?