Tribot Jagex Account Update - What you need to know - Jan 2024

TL;DR - Tribot now supports Jagex Accounts

What is a Jagex Account?

Over the past several months, Jagex has been rolling out their new account system for logging into the game. Previously, every OSRS character had a separate login you entered after loading the game. Now with Jagex Accounts, you can have one account with multiple characters that you log into before launching the game. When you launch the game, the previous "login" process is now just a button that enters the game world. This new system forces two factor authentication.

This feature is now required on all new OSRS characters. As it stands on January 2024, regular runescape accounts made before this change can still be logged in the previous way.

This new account system conforms to most modern standards compared to regular runescape accounts and is now very similar to login systems you use in other games and websites. In fact, it's similar to how you login to Tribot as we use similar modern standards.

How does this affect Tribot?

As of today, Tribot supports Jagex Account login while still preserving support for regular runescape accounts. Since regular accounts can still use the old tools and there are probably tons of those stockpiled, we will not be modifying the account manager or removing the option to start a client without a jagex account. 

Instead, we added the feature separately. You can launch a client with a Jagex Account here:
image.thumb.png.f567b5caae124b28dd839eb088a2466d.png

This supports both email and authenticator two-factor-authentication. 

What about the Account Manager?

The Account Manager is largely coded around the ability to log in while in-game. Since Jagex accounts can't do that, we are going to leave it completely unmodified. Meaning, you will not be using it at all for Jagex Accounts and will only want to use it if you still have regular Runescape accounts.

For now, you can use the Bulk Launcher feature of our tribot launcher which can manage and launch Jagex account clients fully automatically. This is especially good for larger farms.

Do we have to login manually every time?

No, we have two solutions for that.

The tribot command line arguments:

• --jagex-email
  • --jagex-password
  • --jagex-totp
  • --jagex-display-name

And the Bulk Launcher, which supports these fields so that you can manage and launch jagex account farms automatically with a GUI.

Jagex email and password are self-explanatory, but the totp argument is for 2fa. The value of this argument should be the authenticator secret that can be accessed when setting up 2fa on the account. It will ask you to scan a QR code. Under that there will be a way to reveal the plain secret. Do that, save the secret, and then scan the QR code or do what you need to generate a code to complete the process.

It should go without saying that this data is extremely sensitive. If someone gets these 3 values, they will own your jagex account. Please keep them very secure. Our implementation does not store this information nor does it send any of it to our servers.

I run and access my bots using Linux machines which the Jagex launcher doesn’t support. Do I still need to rig up a custom installation of the Jagex launcher on each machine to use my Jagex accounts on Tribot? 

15 hours ago, illusive said:

I run and access my bots using Linux machines which the Jagex launcher doesn’t support. Do I still need to rig up a custom installation of the Jagex launcher on each machine to use my Jagex accounts on Tribot? 

Nope. Our solution does not require the Jagex Launcher at all and works on Linux.

First of all, thank you Nullable for your hard work with this, this is a long anticipated release, for me personally and I'm sure many others.

I do have a suspicion however, with the Jagex launcher, you only have to authenticate once, even through updates of the Jagex launcher, I still stay logged in. Do we think there will be any potential suspicions with authenticating every time we log in? Surely there would be some way for Jagex to differentiate the people authenticating every log-in(especially with 2FA), vs people who have only had to do that once in the last 4 months(which is the last time I actually had to log in to Jagex launcher).

This might just be my IT background talking. Just wanted to throw this out there.

7 hours ago, Crafty said:

First of all, thank you Nullable for your hard work with this, this is a long anticipated release, for me personally and I'm sure many others.

I do have a suspicion however, with the Jagex launcher, you only have to authenticate once, even through updates of the Jagex launcher, I still stay logged in. Do we think there will be any potential suspicions with authenticating every time we log in? Surely there would be some way for Jagex to differentiate the people authenticating every log-in(especially with 2FA), vs people who have only had to do that once in the last 4 months(which is the last time I actually had to log in to Jagex launcher).

This might just be my IT background talking. Just wanted to throw this out there.

While a refreshing login is the most common, I've seen authentication logs for a few systems, including Tribot. There are always people with many logins with all sorts of explanations. Jagex can certainly see the patterns on their end if they wanted to, but it's highly unlikely they'll use it as botting evidence because that's a stretch and would likely cause more problems than anything. Also, their authentication logs are a whole separate system. It may not even be apparent in the cases they manually investigate an account anyway and it's unlikely they have any automation in this regard.

All that being said, I do plan on adding refreshing logins at some point. It was actually my original plan but we had to rush things a bit. 

4 hours ago, Nullable said:

While a refreshing login is the most common, I've seen authentication logs for a few systems, including Tribot. There are always people with many logins with all sorts of explanations. Jagex can certainly see the patterns on their end if they wanted to, but it's highly unlikely they'll use it as botting evidence because that's a stretch and would likely cause more problems than anything. Also, their authentication logs are a whole separate system. It may not even be apparent in the cases they manually investigate an account anyway and it's unlikely they have any automation in this regard.

All that being said, I do plan on adding refreshing logins at some point. It was actually my original plan but we had to rush things a bit. 

Yeah, it might not even be a big enough reason to raise suspicion.

Again, super excited about the release. Thanks for the reply!

On 1/14/2024 at 1:09 AM, Crafty said:

UPDATE: If you close a TRiBot client 'tab'(correct me on the terminology) and click Client>New Client, it will load a new client with the same Jagex Account profile you selected originally. If you keep you TRiBot client up and running so long as neither it or RuneScape need an update, you should be able to use this for several days without reauthenticating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 12:32 PM, RoxxersBoxxers said:

I'm having an issue where I no longer have the splash screen to select Jagex account and Client>New Client opens a jar launcher. 

You need to disable auto-start client in File > Settings

image.png

On 2/9/2024 at 6:06 AM, Iceviking324 said:

image.png.81c2b131a79a7657f55e37bf2eda61f7.pngWhen I enter credentials I get this.  What should I do?  If there is not a fix can I get a refund for now?

had same issue all week no response yet

57 minutes ago, Deez~N0ots said:

Same issue, failed to log in… any fix for this?

@Nullable

On 2/15/2024 at 9:05 PM, MonkyR420 said:

same problem here, null please improve the login with jagex launcherimage.png.81c2b131a79a7657f55e37bf2eda61f7.png

There's no fix for this currently - it is due to "soft blocking" when jagex requires a captcha to sign in.

image.png

4 hours ago, Thebignerd said:

its fixed

No, it is not fixed just because you aren't being required to input a capcha doesn't mean it is fixed.

I am having problems trying to login now, it worked as of yesterday. Today it says:

• [09:25:53] Jagex login failed: Failed to perform initial login

I have tried reseting password, logging in and out of tribot, unistalling tribot, restarting computer and no luck. It used to simply send a message to email, i input email code and everything works sounds. Today no such luck.

Let me know if anyone has any solutions.

Thanks,