Saving/Loading Settings

Naton

Often times you'll want to save/load script settings, especially if you provide a GUI to your users. Nobody wants to have to fill out the same settings over and over.

The TRiBot Script SDK provides a utility class to assist with saving and loading settings. It uses Gson internally and therefore saves settings as a json file.

See

org.tribot.script.sdk.util.ScriptSettings

Create an instance via

ScriptSettings.builder() // configure here
  .build()

// or

ScriptSettings.getDefault() // for default configuration

The builder allows you to specify things such as the directory to save in (must be in .tribot/script-config), and a custom gson instance if you need special configuration. These fields will be configured with sensible defaults if not explicitly set.

You will need a specific class to hold your settings. This object will be serialized and deserialized to a json file.

Example:

@Data
public class BlastFurnaceSettings {

private String barType; // this should really be an enum but for simplicity here we'll use a string
	private boolean useCoalBag;
	private boolean useStaminas;
	private int prefWorld;

}

Suppose we have an instance of this class. We can save it by creating a ScriptSettings object and saving it. We'll use the default ScriptSettings handler for now.

BlastFurnaceSettings settings = new BlastFurnaceSettings();

// These would probably be configured based on some GUI settings but we'll hard code them here
settings.setBarType("Iron");
settings.setPrefWorld(350);
settings.setUseStaminas(true);

ScriptSettings handler = ScriptSettings.getDefault();
handler.save("my-settings-file", settings);

By default, this will save to .tribot/script-config/script-name with a file name of my-settings-file.json so the full path would be .tribot/script-config/script-name/my-settings-file.json

Note that currently your files must be in the .tribot/script-config folder.

Now, we'll load the settings above.

ScriptSettings handler = ScriptSettings.getDefault();
Optional<BlastFurnaceSettings> settings = handler.load("my-settings-file", BlastFurnaceSettings.class);
// now do whatever with your settings, the optional will be empty if the settings did not exist

The script settings class provides a method to list all of the settings files if you want to show all settings to a user to select.

ScriptSettings handler = ... // some instance, obtained however you want
List<String> allSaveFileNames = handler.getSaveNames();

Alternatively, it also provides a way to get the base directory to provide to some file picker/chooser in a UI, such as https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/javafx/api/javafx/stage/FileChooser.html

File settingsDirectory = handler.getDirectory();

You can also programmatically delete a settings file.

if (handler.delete("my-settings-file")) {
	// deleted successfully
}

All together in an example script:

package scripts;

import lombok.Data;
import lombok.val;
import org.tribot.script.sdk.Log;
import org.tribot.script.sdk.script.TribotScript;
import org.tribot.script.sdk.util.ScriptSettings;

public class SdkTest implements TribotScript {

@Override
    public void execute(String args) {
        val settings = new BlastFurnaceSettings();
        settings.setBarType("Iron");
        settings.setPrefWorld(350);
        settings.setUseStaminas(true);
        val settingsHandler = ScriptSettings.getDefault();
        settingsHandler.save("my-settings-file", settings);
        settingsHandler.load("my-settings-file", BlastFurnaceSettings.class)
                .ifPresent(s -> {
                    Log.log("Loaded settings object: " + s);
                });
        Log.log("All settings names: " + settingsHandler.getSaveNames());
        Log.log("Settings dir: " + settingsHandler.getDirectory());
        if (settingsHandler.delete("my-settings-file")) {
            Log.log("Deleted settings successfully");
        }
    }

@Data
    public static class BlastFurnaceSettings {

private String barType; // this should really be an enum but for simplicity here we'll use a string
        private boolean useCoalBag;
        private boolean useStaminas;
        private int prefWorld;

}

}

Output:

• [19:03:34] Script Started: SdkTest.
  • [19:03:34] Loaded settings object: SdkTest.BlastFurnaceSettings(barType=Iron, useCoalBag=false, useStaminas=true, prefWorld=350)
  • [19:03:34] All settings names: [my-settings-file, test]
  • [19:03:34] Settings dir: C:\Users\Nate\AppData\Roaming\.tribot\script-config\SdkTest
  • [19:03:34] Deleted settings successfully
  • [19:03:34] Script Ended: SdkTest.

View all my bots on the TRiBot store! (premium) (free)

Need assistance with any of my bots? Join the nScript support discord (link below).

nScripting.com    nScript Support Discord     Refund Policy

Automate your bot management through nRestocker and the TRiBot Bulk Launcher

• 1 month later...
[21:53:28] java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to invoke public scripts.api.Work() with no args
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.ConstructorConstructor$3.construct(ConstructorConstructor.java:113)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:212)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.read(TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.java:41)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ArrayTypeAdapter.read(ArrayTypeAdapter.java:72)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$1.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:131)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:222)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:932)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:897)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:846)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:817)
[21:53:28]     at org.tribot.script.sdk.util.ScriptSettings.load(ScriptSettings.java:156)

I know you can't instantiate abstract classes, but how else do i instantiate different types of work such as Mining, Woodcutting and Motherlode

Edited by Polymorphic

10 hours ago, Polymorphic said:

[21:53:28] java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to invoke public scripts.api.Work() with no args
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.ConstructorConstructor$3.construct(ConstructorConstructor.java:113)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:212)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.read(TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.java:41)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ArrayTypeAdapter.read(ArrayTypeAdapter.java:72)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$1.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:131)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:222)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:932)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:897)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:846)
[21:53:28]     at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:817)
[21:53:28]     at org.tribot.script.sdk.util.ScriptSettings.load(ScriptSettings.java:156)

I know you can't instantiate abstract classes, but how else do i instantiate different types of work such as Mining, Woodcutting and Motherlode

You'll have to look into how to save abstract classes with gson. There's a lot of resources on google. I'd recommend looking into this solution provided by gson https://github.com/google/gson/blob/master/extras/src/main/java/com/google/gson/typeadapters/RuntimeTypeAdapterFactory.java

View all my bots on the TRiBot store! (premium) (free)

Need assistance with any of my bots? Join the nScript support discord (link below).

nScripting.com    nScript Support Discord     Refund Policy

Automate your bot management through nRestocker and the TRiBot Bulk Launcher

21 minutes ago, Naton said:

You'll have to look into how to save abstract classes with gson. There's a lot of resources on google. I'd recommend looking into this solution provided by gson https://github.com/google/gson/blob/master/extras/src/main/java/com/google/gson/typeadapters/RuntimeTypeAdapterFactory.java

Okay thanks, that should solve my issue

• Nullable changed the title to Saving/Loading Settings